Super Duper English Time

Monday, June 05, 2006

Research Classes

I went to Diamond Junior high school on June 2nd and I saw 2 classes; 1st and 2nd grade classes.

1) what was the goal of the class?

・1st: Introducing your family and your friends
・2nd: Making a report which introduce about moai


2) What activities did the students do to accomplish the goal?

・1st
Answered the teacher's questions in English, did pairworks and practice the asking a person with he/she), had a talk, introduced their family and friends to classmates more than 3. Finally, they evaluated themselves using a handout.

・2nd
Practiced the expression, wrote the introduction composition(long time), rewrited it,announced it. Finally they evaluated themselves using a handouts.


3) What was the role of the teacher in this class?

Both of teachers were the master of this class. Also, they were the master of bringing out the thinking in students.


4) From watching the teacher and students, did you receive any hints or clues as to how to have a successfil English class?

I thought that if students answer which we didn't expect, teacher doesn't deny it from begining. Perhaps it is hard to give lessons, but I think teachres should have respect to student's thinking at first. In Diamond high school, teacheres didn't deny students's answers. So I want to teach like that.

4 Comments:

  • At 5:06 PM, Blogger JH said…

    Can you give me an example of how teachers sometimes "deny students' answers"?
    Thanks,
    JH

     
  • At 7:06 PM, Blogger 74napochi said…

    To JH
     I think using positive expressions is good.
    For example, if student's answer isn't correct, teachers doesn't deny them head-on,accepts these answeres using expressions. For example…''That's a good idea.'' or ''Sonds intereasting'' etc.

     
  • At 11:29 PM, Blogger patapata said…

    I'm patapata.
    You wrote that teachers should have respect to student's thinking at first. I agree with you. I think first of all it is very important of teachers to respect students. Such teacher's behavior relates to make good relationship between teachers and students, have successful English class, I think.
    Thanks,
    patapata

     
  • At 1:01 AM, Blogger Eringo said…

    I think that respecting students' opinion is very important, too.
    As a teacher, not to deny their opinoins or ideas is very essential. I would like to be a teacher who can do like that.
    Thanks,
    Eringo

     

Post a Comment

<< Home