Super Duper English Time

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

My advices about about teaching English in a Japanese junior high school

Last ETM3,we listened Mr.M's lecture. He is a junior high school's English teacher and he taught us many important things.So today, I would like to introduce some things what I learned from his lecture and to think what shoud I prepare for teaching practice in September.

First Mr.M said that a person who can greet everyone is very important.Besides, a person who can speak to everyone,can be respons in word and deed is important. It is natural thing and common sense as an adult,but I think it is difficult to show these things one's attitude actually.

Moreover,he taught us 3 important things.
1)Making a smile
He said students keeps away from a person who doesn't make a smile.I think so too. In the past, I saw a book [90% people judge someone by appearances] once, especially students do it. In my experience, I memorized that I
also judged teacher by it.When I think of it now it was very rude but I memorized that I didn't approach a teacher with a frown grimance.So when I heard it, I thought face, especually expression is very inportant for teacher.

2)A person with common sense
According to one ALT's speaking, many teacher have no common sense because they doesn't go out the school. I think it is sad and shame things. I thought teacher is a model for students and I still think it. If the model has no common sense, he/she is not qualified to teach their students. Now that give a lesson, we have to try not only improve the teaching ability skill, but also try to be a person with common sense.

3)Making efforts as well as I can
After all it is very important thing and I think so too. He said "If you make a mistake, we doesn't scoll you.If anithing but things is not making efforts." I thought that we are student teacher must succeed in teaching practice and teacher daoesn't forgive our mistake. so I was afraid to make a mistake. However when I heard his lecture, I found making a mistake is important to success. So I changed my mind!I don't have nothing to be afraid of making a mistake! BUT!! I try to make efforts as well as I can!! Now you come to mention it, I made a many mistakes until now. But I tried to make efforts, I could be succeed one way or another. [Failure teaches success.] So Let's make efforts! Don' be afraid of making a mistake!!

Finally, I would like to present to reader 2 things.
1:It is important how to make students move. Mr.M said that teacher shoudn't a lot of explain but on the other hand they have to make stuednts move. So it is important to make them do independently. That is difficult for me but I think it is very diificult to teach and educate them.

2:It is also important to have student's outlook. It helps for teacher what they have to do now. Also I think we have to have it to myself.


This time I wrote many things that I heard and I want to write. Actually, I learned a lot of things more ade more. So I'll write anothethings in my another blog.

Thank you…???

I forgot!! Finally!! Teacher doesn't have enogh time!! Accorfimg to Mr.M's lifestyle, he wakes up early, goes to school in early time, gives lessons, checks the students HW,attends club activities qnd teaches then, preparets for next class and so on! Teacher can't have time for tnem!!So I thought we have to think and praxtice hoe to use time from now!!!!!

Thank you very much!!!!!

3 Comments:

  • At 8:49 PM, Blogger 13 Weeks said…

    Hi, I thought you had some good thoughts about the lecture by Mr. M. I am an ALT in Iwate and I agree that Japanese teachers dont have much time!! Some of my teachers come to school very early and leave late at night - is this part of Japanese culture? Are they really busy or do they have to stay at school so the other teachers and Kyoto sensei and Kocho sensei think that they are good hardworking teachers?

    Before I came to Japan, I was a teacher in New Zealand. Teachers are busy too, but most teachers left school by 5pm and some didnt arrive to school until 8.30am!! I think Japanese teachers work hard at club activities.

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Blogger 74napochi said…

    》Hello 13weeks!!Thank you for reading! I think overtime work may be a Japanese culture.(But I don't like it!) Also I think many Janpanese have a tendency to regard a person who doesn't do a overtime work is an lazy fellow.
    Besides, especially most JHS teachers has to work hare at club activities.So they have to do many things. I think they are too busy and that points cause me a truble actually.

     
  • At 3:43 PM, Blogger Steve Jang said…

    Hello. I'm an ALT in Iwate prefecture. I enjoyed reading your post and would like to comment on it. First of all, good luck in your preparations for teaching practice in September. I'm sure you'll learn many things and gain a lot of experience from it.

    In reading your post, I think Mr. M was right on the ball in his lecture. I'd like to say a word about his "3 important things."

    The first important thing is to smile. So important, not only for teachers, but many other professions as well. Well, maybe not a security guard! Of course, there are times when a teacher has to be tough, too. Then maybe it's not time to smile. For instance, if the class is being too noisy, it's difficult to say "Be quiet!" with a smile on one's face! But it's equally important to smile once again after scolding the students.

    Secondly, it's important to have common sense. To put it more simply, the teacher needs to get to know his or her students!!! Talk to them. Understand their personalities, their likes and dislikes, their strengths and weaknesses, and so on. And then speak, prepare materials, and make decisions based on that knowledge.

    And thirdly, it's important to remember not to make mistakes. Oops! I meant it's important to remember it's OK to make mistakes. I used to carry a fortune cookie fortune in my wallet. It said 「失敗は成功の元」,or "failure is the root of success." I don't know what happened to that fortune, but the memory stays with me.

    Thank you for your time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home